Reports To: Edmonton 2 Spirit Society (E2S) and the Provincial Advisory Council
Location: 4 Councils – Alberta divided into regions (virtual meetings, occasional in-person meetings. Travel expenses covered when travelling – gas, hotel, and food allowance.)
Job Type: Volunteer Part-Time (2-year term).
Job Purpose: The Edmonton 2 Spirit Society (E2S) seeks members for four Regional Advisory Councils which will play a crucial role in guiding and informing the MMIWG2S+ Justice & Wellness Plan (JWP) to address the ongoing crisis of missing and murdered Indigenous women, girls, and 2SLGBTQQIA+ people in Alberta. Council members will provide input on key areas related to safety, well-being, healing, education, justice, infrastructure, and more to inform regional and provincial action plans.
- Attend and participate in quarterly council meetings and additional activities.
- Providing guidance and strategic direction for the JWP.
- Collecting, analyzing, and sharing data related to MMISWG2S+ individuals, specifically 2SLGBTQQIA+ people.
- Steering strategies to prevent violence, discrimination, and marginalization of Indigenous 2SLGBTQQIA+ individuals.
- Assisting in developing regional and local plans tailored to the needs of Indigenous 2SLGBTQQIA+ individuals and communities.
- Participating in knowledge-gathering activities about the roles and responsibilities of Indigenous 2SLGBTQQIA+ people within their respective communities.
- Advocating for funding to support regional Knowledge Keeper Gatherings.
- Collaborating with various stakeholders to ensure cultural access for 2SLGBTQQIA+ people.
- Assisting in the re-education of communities and individuals who have learned to reject 2SLGBTQQIA+ people or deny their importance.
- Self-identify as Indigenous and preferably as 2SLGBTQQIA+. We will also consider Indigenous individuals with 2SLGBTQIA+ kin affected directly by MMIWG2S+ issues.
- Have a deep understanding of the issues facing Indigenous women, girls, and 2SLGBTQQIA+ individuals.
- Have experience working with Indigenous communities, organizations, or initiatives.
- Have excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Be willing to travel within Alberta for meetings, consultations, and other JWP-related activities. (Initial commitment – approximately 4 virtual meetings, 1 in-person meeting.)
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume along with a cover letter detailing why they believe they are suitable for this role to email@example.com.
The Edmonton 2 Spirit Society (E2S) is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including those from our most marginalized populations, including but not limited to Indigenous persons, persons of colour, persons with disabilities, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQQIA+. We are committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
The evaluation process will involve a review of all applications to select candidates whose qualifications most closely match our needs. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We thank all applicants for their interest in this important initiative.
To be considered, please provide:
- Your name, community affiliation, and region (City).
- A statement of your interest and qualifications.
- Your perspectives on priorities and challenges impacting Indigenous 2SLGBTQQIA+ people in your region.
- Your vision for fostering safety, justice, cultural belonging, and wellness for Indigenous 2SLGBTQQIA+ individuals.